Thanks to Nick, David, Marian, Jon, Jack and Ben, Vera, Tim and Judy (and perhaps others) there was some good progress in the orchard this weekend. All the hedge whips are now in their final positions, as are some replacement trees. The site has been tidied, and there are many signs of new growth.
We have some problems with ring-barking. It seems that in spite of the plastic guards, which are a little flimsy, squirrels or rabbits are nibbling at some trees. It may be too late to save them. We will aim to source some better guards.
Some ambitions for the growing year ahead:
- get the seat and bench into position and keep the grass trimmed and improving
- hold a social/AGM (perhaps a picnic with cider and music?) so we can make approve an amended constitution
- plant missing trees from Brogdale including Mrs Phillimore
- develop ideas to keep a bee hive on site
- update the labels and certificates
- your suggestions...
Everyone who has sponsored a tree is invited to visit their tree. Take some time to admire it, and perhaps provide it with some tlc (we will look after pruning). It should now be easy to get at individual trees by simply unwinding the twisted fence (you will need good gloves and strong fingers!)
If you have not yet become a full member of the orchard, please consider doing so. An annual membership of under £10 paid by direct debit gives the orchard provide a reiable source of continuing income.
All good wishes